Monday, September 14, 2009

Much Sooner Than We Expected!



I had noticed over the past week that I had been getting what seemed like insect bites all over my hands, wrists, and ankles. I had blamed Gary and Chester for getting fleas in the house because that was what it had to be. However, Chester didn't have fleas and Gary wasn't getting any bites either. The 'bites' were spreading down my arms, feet, legs, and belly. I couldn't figure it out. When I went to work on Monday, the general consensus from everyone that I asked in the office believed it to be an allergic reaction. So, I went next door to our nurses to ask for something that I could take, if in fact it was an allergic reaction. They told me that they couldn't give me anything and that I needed to talk to my OB/GYN about it. I had an appointment the next day, so I just waited and talked to them about it. She didn't seem to be too concerned but said it looked like a classic case of PUPPS and said to take Benadryl. She sent me off for some blood work to confirm that it was PUPPs and we went ahead and scheduled the elective induction for Monday July 27th, as I stated in the earlier post. I tried the Benadryl and didn't have much luck. Tuesday night I hardly got any sleep because I was itching so badly. Wednesday night it was worse. After trying every itching cream in the aisle of CVS (Shhh, don't tell anyone) without getting any relief, Gary convinced me to go to the hospital to try to get some answers and relief. So, we did. We went to triage July 22nd and there they gave me Benadryl by IV and Nubain to help with the itching. It worked for a little while, then I was back to itching again. Thursday morning, the itching still wasn't any better, so I called the Doctor's office. I decided to walk over to the office, since I work at the hospital, it was just a short walk. Gary met me there and demanded we see a doctor. After talking to the midwife and doctor, they decided that we could go ahead and start the induction that day since the rash would not go away until after delivery and we were going to be induced in 4 days anyway. That's where the chaos began. I didn't know it at the time, but I was going to be having a surprise baby shower at work in just 2 hours. So, I went to the baby shower and it was a surprise. Gary had to tell me in the doctor's office since they told us it was going to be later that day that we were going to be induced and there were so many things that had to be done but I needed to be there for our baby shower. So, we had the shower - It was awesome! We had to get someone to take care of Chester, eat, do some laundry, and get the rest of our bags packed. I left work at 5pm, came home, and left the house at 7:30pm. We didn't even get a chance to eat. We got checked in at 8pm and got into our room around 9pm. We called Mimi to bring us Whataburger when she came. When Mimi got there, we were so hungry. I started eating and that's when the midwife came in with the first induction method, Cervadil. There was no turning back then. :)

Before the contractions got bad :)

No comments:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers